Thursday, June 26, 2014

Modesty Week - Ashley Ziegler's Perspective

Growing up I was raised in a Mormon family who valued modesty and also the church leaders. Our church teaches: "Modesty is an attitude of propriety and decency in dress, grooming, language, and behavior. If we are modest, we do not draw undue attention to ourselves. Instead, we seek to “glorify God in [our] body, and in [our] spirit” (1 Corinthians 6:20; see also 1 Corinthians 6:19)."
Graduation 2010
I never really cared much when I was younger. All I wanted was to wear spaghetti straps, bikini's and short shorts like my friends. I wanted to fit in so bad and I was frustrated that my parents wouldn't let me. I felt it was unfair and ridiculous. I rebelled for a little while and then after doing personal progress my first time, I realized being modest is something I needed in my life to help me prepare for one of the most sacred ordinances I would be apart of some day. Marriage.
photo credit
I told myself I would dress as if I were wearing garments. And from that day forward, I never wore anything immodest. I knew my body was a temple and I needed to start treating it like one. It was really hard. Going on vacations and wearing short sleeved shirts and long shorts. It was hard wearing layers once I got married but the day I received my endowment and really understood the meaning of dressing modestly, my perspective changed, yet again. I thought I was being modest, but then I went through the Temple and now I really had to be modest.

Being modest isn't a chore. It's a choice. A choice that will bless you here and now, and in the eternities. It's a choice that will never hold you back from blessings and will keep you happy for the rest of your lives. Being modest shoes respect for your body and respect to Heavenly Father who gave it to you. Make the decision now to be modest. I promise you won't regret it!

Visit Ashley Ziegler's blog here 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for allowing me to guest post on this subject! It's one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day - - I LOVE hearing from you!